The Mayor’s Neighborhood Engagement Office, in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Youth and Families, would like to invite all interested youth to participate in the Junior Civic Leadership Academy (JCLA).
An initiative from Mayor LaToya Cantrell, this engaging, 8-week program will provide youth with an in-depth look at City government. The program includes hands-on demonstrations and presentations that give participants an insider's view of how the City of New Orleans operates. With this knowledge, students will be better equipped to engage their communities and help improve residents’ quality of life.
Who can participate in Junior Civic Leadership Academy?
Youth between the ages of 13-18 who live in New Orleans, are interested in government, and are interested in learning how to improve their community are encouraged to participate.
The 2021 JCLA session will take place in-person each Saturday in June and July, with the exception of July 3, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- June 5: The Organization and Vision of City Government
- June 12: Dollars and Sense: Financing NOLA's Needs
- June 19: The Mechanics of City Government
- June 26: Developing and Revitalizing Our Communities
- July 10: Public Safety
- July 17: Emergency Preparedness and Response
- July 24: Youth, Family, and Health Services
- July 31: Graduation and Looking Ahead
Applications are available online and will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Friday, May 21, or until capacity is reached.